Saturday, September 04, 2004

Monsoon? Monsoons? Monsoonis?

Oops, my bad. According to Judy, the term monsoon refers to a season in itself and shouldn't be used with the word "season." Okey dokey. It's still weird to be so hot and suddenly have rain pouring down (so much for AZ's "dry heat"). And stuff does flood here, because even though 1/3 of the total rain for AZ comes from monsoons(?), it's still only a couple of inches so they don't bother with big drain systems. It's not exactly Frances.

I am officially a weather wimp. I've never seen a tornado, never been in a hurricane or even a severe thunderstorm. 5" of rain seems like an awful lot to me.

Not much new in the world of Goodyear, AZ. Loved Venus' (or was it Serena's?) black tennis boots. The U.S. Open is on all day here, although A. steals the remote and offers it to us, hopefully asking, "Thomas? Teletubbies? Farm Animals? Girls Gone Wild?"

Having G. here with me helps a lot because he entertains A. and cooks eggs in the morning, too. It's also a little annoying because he second-guesses everything I say. He doesn't believe me when I tell him a monsoon can be a dust storm, and runs out to the car as I'm pulling out of the garage to ask, "Pork with sweet potatoes and apples? Isn't that too much sugar?" Oh yeah, I forgot that we're here to cook heart- and blood-sugar-friendly food. Guess that means the sugar syrup with butter for dessert is out. No, because the fiber in the potatoes and apples makes the glycemic index lower than other vegetables. And, I'm going to give him mostly pork anyway. Leave me alone.

But mostly, it helps and I'm glad he's here.

0 comments:

 
template by suckmylolly.com