Monday, October 20, 2008

The Wedding That Wasn't

So I'm sure you all remember my sister's little adventure down in the Dominican Republic in which Big Nephew (to me, Eldest Son to her) was to be married.

The Couple in Question decided they did want to get married before the baby was born and told us all that the date was set: October 20th at SF City Hall.

I met Beastie and BIL in front of City Hall where an ecumenical collection of ministers was demonstrating against Prop 8. Right on!

As we looked for Big Nephew and Girlfriend in the big rotunda, Beastie said to me, "If something went wrong and it didn't happen today, wouldn't that just fit?"

Guess what? It didn't happen. Dudes got the date wrong. They (and everyone else who took the day off to see them get married) were supposed to come in on Wednesday, October 29th. Oops. There were a whole lot of couples lined up to get married today, and if you don't have an appointment (or come in on the wrong day), you're outta luck.

So we went and had lunch at the Olive Garden anyway and called it a Rehearsal Dinner instead of a Wedding Banquet.

So the new plan is to get married in "about 2 weeks," on a weekend, somewhere outside, by someone else, but before the baby comes. The details are fuzzy, but there will be little white lights and candy in tulle, they tell us. Whether or not they will end the evening actually legally married remains to be seen. I think we should start a betting pool to help finance this shindig.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

How do you get your wedding date wrong? OMG! That is one huge omen isn't it?

Either this is going to go really really badly or they are meant to be together till they are bumping old wrinkly uglies together.

Lunasea said...

Kelley, pretty much. I hope whatever happens, they both figure out what makes them happy and how to get it.

Sarah said...

Let's hope they don't forget to go to the hospital when Girlfriend's having the baby.

Beastarzmom said...

I have a whole lot of other things we can finance...
Fortunately, I think baby will make it clear when they need to be there - if all babies came scheduled, I'd certainly not make any firm plans. But I'm a little concerned they'll end up at the wrong hospital.
aaaaargh.

Lunasea said...

Well, I guess as long at it's a people hospital and not the veterinary hospital....

 
template by suckmylolly.com