Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Post Valentine's Day Post

G. is one of the most romantic guys I've ever met, let alone dated. Check it out:

1. For Valentine's Day one year, he made a customized magnetic poetry set with our names, places we'd been, special words we used, memories, etc. He made it look just like the professional magnetic poetry sets by printing the words on labels and adhering them to magnetic sheets and cutting them all out by hand. Then he put them all on a cookie sheet and wrapped it up.

2. He proposed by taking me on a hike in a local regional park. I thought it was a bit strange that he'd take his backpack along on a short hike, but I am extremely good at humoring him, so I said nothing. Along the hike he pointed to the top of a hill and said, "Look! There's a red-tailed hawk! Let's go see!" I had just been looking in that direction, and there was no bird anywhere near there, but again, see comment about humoring him.

We got to the top and he took out a box. He got down on bended knee with a beautiful ring. He asked me to marry him, and I said, "OK." (Obviously, he's way more romantic and poetic than I am). Then he gave me a 5 x 7 box. Inside the box, wrapped in red velvet, were 50 small paper collages that he'd made himself - each one a different reason he loved me. He used handmade papers, and stuff cut out from magazines and cards, and handwrote something on each one, like "You let me be myself and accept me as I am," and "With you I've found my home".

I found out later that he'd been up there the week before to scout out the location and clear out the coyote dung.

3. He makes jewelry. He made me a gorgeous amethyst bracelet, a mommy bracelet with A's name on it, and a really pretty garnet lariat necklace, among others. Whenever we're out shopping and I look at jewelry, he always asks what I like and tries to remember what I like and duplicate it.


We've been together for 8 years now, married for 4.5. Valentine's Day was a little lean this year due to a lack of money, energy and time. He bought me a card and a box of chocolates. I made him two cards - one from me and one from A. We both worked, so that was pretty much it. But, what he does now on a daily basis is at least as romantic to me as anything he's done before, if not more so. Check it out:

1. He gets up every morning with A. and lets me sleep in. When I get up, sometimes an hour and a half later, he never makes me feel guilty for sleeping more. He always acts happy to greet me whenever I get up and however disheveled I am.

2. He remembers to buy me Caffeine-Free Diet Coke when he goes grocery shopping even though he never drinks it.

3. He also remembers to buy ice cream (he does eat that - sometimes he makes me crazy by leaving one teaspoon-full in the carton and putting it back in the freezer - but I know the intent is to leave at least one bite for me).

4. He takes care of all the household maintenance stuff without complaining.

5. Even when he's worked all day, he always takes over A. when he gets home - if it's early enough, he'll give him his bath and put him to bed.

6. If I say my back hurts, he always asks if I want a massage.

7. He tells me often that I'm a great mother.

8. When we took the train into the city over the weekend, he tried to carry A., my heavy bag AND the stroller so I wouldn't have to. I did end up taking the stroller.

So...a Happy Belated Valentine's Day to my Everyday Love.

~Your Everyday Lunasea.

0 comments:

 
template by suckmylolly.com