Thursday, February 03, 2005

Great. And This Chick's Principal-in-Chief?


Thanks to Catawampus for the graphic.

So Margaret Spelling thinks we don't want our children exposed to a ::gasp:: family headed by a lesbian couple? I'll take a functional lesbian couple over many of the families I've seen any day.

Sweetie, how 'bout focusing your efforts on the idiots who don't know who their baby daddy is? (Oh, shoot, I forgot - if we just taught abstinence in the schools, that little problem would be taken care of). I saw a TV ad today for a talk show where the mother's had something like 35 men tested to see if she can find her baby daddy - clearly the abstinence talk had an effect on her.

Or how 'bout the sweethearts who don't want their kids? Here's my therapist disclaimer before someone takes away my couch: if these parents came into my office I'd find empathy for them and I'd try to get to the pain underneath the hurtful crap they're projecting onto their child.

Frankly, I'm can relate to the conservatives in that I'd rather A. didn't know right now that children lived in the kinds of families I'm talking about, and I wouldn't be happy to see these families depicted on Buster. But someday he will know, he has to know, and someday he'll have to make his own judgments. I hope he'll have some compassion.

My point, which I seem to have lost somewhere along the way, is that there are so many threats to kids from their families that are really serious problems, so let's focus on the threats that we know exist. We know that certain family structures and stresses are more likely to produce criminals and abusers, and those families aren't lesbian or gay.

Emotional and physical abuse, neglect, poverty and a broken educational system are bigger threats to your students than lesbian parents, Margey.

0 comments:

 
template by suckmylolly.com