Sunday, June 13, 2004

With the Berber Shade It's a Lonely View....

I worked MCT on Saturday and drove from one end of the city to the other several times with only the police radio and the FM band to listen to. Scanning the stations I was reminded of how many songs I don't understand the lyrics to. One of the most recent is the title of this post, which I also thought maybe was "with the birds of shame it's a lonely view." The real lyric, apparently, is "with the birds I'll share this lonely view," which doesn't even match the line's rhythm as it's sung. I like both of mine better.

A SF Chronicle columnist has written about some great mondegreens.

Remember that touching moment in "I'm in the Mood for Love" when the singer reveals his favorite nickname for his beloved?

I'm in the mood for love,
Simply because you're near me,
Funny Butt, when you're near me ...

Oh, and Mila Mitra heard Louis Armstrong's "What a Wonderful World" as "I see skies of blue and clouds of white, the bright blessed day, the dog said good night."


Oh man, that's what I thought it was, too.

I still have to submit mine to him:

Neil Diamond: Livin' in Blue Jeans - I dare you to listen to this song and tell me it doesn't sound more like "Reverend Blue Jeans" than "Livin' in Blue Jeans." As a kid in the 70's, I thought the song was about a hippie priest. (Edited to add: Marianne informs me that it's "Forever in Blue Jeans" - no wonder it didn't sound like "Livin' in Blue Jeans." Still sounds more like Reverend to me. Thanks, Marianne!)

There's also some song by the Gypsy Kings that sounds just like they're singing "Dalai Lama y Grand Marinier" - again, whatever the Spanish words actually are, I like mine better.

Greg provided me with one when we'd just started dating and were baking Xmas cookies in my kitchen. We were listening to christmas carols and Frosty the Snowman came on. "Why would you want to build a snowman that was parse and brown?" he wondered. I thought he was kidding, but he wasn't.

And Elton John: "We're the Dark Cloud Society now." Real lyrics: "Where the dogs of society howl."

And, of course, there's always the famous "running like a douche in the night." I also misheard phrases, and, like many, thought that for "all intensive purposes," it was indeed a "doggy dog world."

Tell me some of yours.

0 comments:

 
template by suckmylolly.com