Wednesday, October 11, 2006

The First Thing to Go is the Memory

Seriously, I have got to start writing stuff down. Just about 20 minutes ago, I had an idea for a 3-bullet-point post: had the thing all written in my head, in fact, and the idea has had a chance to flee the open fields of my brain and is now hiding in a bunker somewhere.

Anyway, I’m all about the energy lately. I can’t keep functioning on empty. I’m just so tired all the time that I feel like I could close my eyes and fall asleep at any point during the day (yes, I’ve checked, and no, I’m not pregnant). I swear, since I turned 40, my body has decided it’s holding my energy hostage unless I really take care of myself. I can’t keep the pace I used to keep, and I can’t eat what I used to eat without gaining 20 lbs.

The fact is, my lifestyle requires more energy than I currently have. So, I’ve got to make some changes. I’ve given up white flour and sugar during the day, and it hasn’t been that hard. I wanted something sweet today, but I thought, “Yeah, I could get a cookie, but then I know I’d be falling asleep half an hour later.” That has become motivation enough to keep to my routine. I do eat dairy, and I don’t worry about the sugar in some stuff like lowfat yogurt and fruit. I’m eating whole grains, yogurt, fruit, vegetables, and lean protein during the day. It’s only been a couple of days, but my energy is staying more stable throughout the day.

I’m also giving up naps, even though I sometimes really feel like I need one. I’m going to bed earlier and sleeping better without the naps. I’m just going to have to tape the shows on after 10pm (still don’t have Tivo, and the cable company only has digital recording if you get their full package).

The next step is to exercise regularly. Today I took Ben for a walk before picking A. up at school, but I need to work in more real cardio work.

So there it is in black and white. Two days down, hopefully many years to go.

0 comments:

 
template by suckmylolly.com