Saturday, May 08, 2004

Hit Me Baby One More Time...

My counter's at 999....I know I don't get as many hits as some people (hello, DQ and Martini), but hey, roll me over, will ya?

So am I the only person not shocked by the abuse of Iraqi prisoners in the military prisons? While of course the abuse and torture of POWs is horrible, it's not exactly surprising. We've been trained as a country to see the Iraqi face (particularly the male face) as the face of 911, the "Axis of Evil," the face of everything un-American. They hate us, they want us to die, they think nothing of killing innocents in their jihad. I would imagine that if you're working in a military prison, it's even worse. Those people are sub-human - why else would we have them locked up like this? To do that work, to bomb and shoot and send missles, you've got to classify the enemy as categorically evil. Nothing else - just evil. Certainly not human and deserving of human rights. Not to mention the fact that you might think they have special information that would prevent another 911, if you could just get it out of them. It's very important in prisons to establish who as the power and who doesn't (the prisoners). So no, I'm not surprised. Saddened, but not surprised.

0 comments:

 
template by suckmylolly.com